To dye my whole head, I used Bellatory’s How to Bleach Your Hair Blonde—The Step-by-Step Guide. I didn’t have purple shampoo at the time, so I skipped that step. I also only bleached once… Wish I did it twice like they suggested. So basically, I’m saying, DO WHAT THEY SAID LOL! It still came out really nice! Their root touch up method is here.
My at home Goldilocs Hair:
- Quick Blue Bleach – by L’Oreal
- 30 VOLUME CREME DEVELOPER – by L’Oreal or by Clairol
- Wella Toner – (2 bottles) in T27
- Wella Haircolor – 9NG & 7NW
- No Yellow Shampoo & Nutri Care Conditioner (Purple Shampoo) – by Fanola
I was dying for some length again, so I decided to look into extensions again. I planned to treat myself & get them professionally done… but after some scheduling issues, I decided to google & find out the latest way people were doing loc extensions these days!
I found INSTA-LOCS!!! Glory HALLELUJAH! What an amazing idea! Insta locs are handcrafted handmade locs made with human afro-kinky hair & a crochet needle. Like.. what?! LOL!
- You can create your own loc extensions using a CROCHET hook! It takes time & dedication, but you can make them from scratch for natural hair, or create them & attach them to mature locs using a LATCH hook. The method I used was by Jennifer Tulley ( themukisa11 on Youtube ). Her video on how to add extensions to mature locs is no longer a public video, but you can search for similar videos here.
- You can purchase loc extensions, like I did in in May 2017 from LegacyLocs on Etsy (store currently closed 9/2017) but she has her own website now that you can purchase from.
My LegacyLocs extensions were amazing! What an amazing job she did fulfilling my special request of a color blend of honey brown with blonde! These locs are so soft, feel amazing and smell amazing too! AMAZING JOB WELL DONE.
I first purchased a “tester” order of: Qty 10 locs (1 bundle) of medium width 5″ length locs
When I fell in love with my test set, I ordered:
- Qty 10: x-small width / 5″ length
- Qty 60: small width / 5″ length
- Qty 20: medium width / 5″ length
- Qty 10: small width / 10″ length
They came out SO amazingly! The hugest issue with my 2011 extensions was the method of hand wrapping the kinky hair to the bottom of my loc.
Attaching already formed locs made this SUCH an easier situation. I was even able to dye & wash my hair shortly after installing the locs. It’s not recommended 😉 but I was able to do it without messing up the connection of my loc to the LegacyLoc. I believe it’s because you’re WEAVING the extension INTO your existing mature loc with the super small crochet needle.
Attaching extensions to mature locs is a different process than just adding locs to straight/natural hair.
The method I used was by Jennifer Tulley ( themukisa11 on Youtube ). Her video on how to add extensions to mature locs is no longer a public video, but you can search for similar videos here.